A chipped tooth can be a painful experience. It can occur from being knocked in the face while playing sports to biting on hard food. The pain can be significant, and leaving it can lead to cracked teeth and the development of cavities.
It is why, if you have chipped your tooth, even minorly, you should book an appointment with your dentist in Airdrie to receive treatment.
What To Do Before Visiting Your Dentist In Airdrie
If you have to wait a few days to see your dentist, here is how you can reduce any complications and relieve pain in the meantime:
- Rinse your mouth out with warm salt water to help relieve any pain and prevent infection
- Consume only liquids and soft foods. If you do eat solid foods, chew on the opposite side of your chipped tooth. It is best to also avoid chewing gum at this time.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication, such as ibuprofen, to reduce any pain or swelling.
- If swelling has risen, place an ice pack on the area of your face where the chipped tooth is.
These tips should help you maintain any pain you might experience. However, even if the pain goes away, you should still visit your dentist.
How Your Airdrie Dentist Can Repair a Chipped Tooth
Depending on the severity of the chipped tooth, and the extent of the damage, your dentist in Airdrie will offer you a variety of treatments to help:
- For small, superficial chips, the tooth can be polished out for a smooth area. In some cases, your dentist might suggest bonding. It is a simple procedure wherein a composite material is molded over the healthy area of the tooth to correct the chip.
- If the tooth chip is more apparent, the dentist can recommend veneers as a way to strengthen your chipped teeth, while giving it a new aesthetic appealing look.
- For more substantial breaks, your dentist might recommend a crown. A crown is a large cap that covers the entire tooth, strengthening and protecting it at the same time. If the chip is deep enough that it affects the tooth’s pulp, then a root canal in Airdrie might need to be performed before placing a crown on the tooth.
- In severe cases, where the tooth is completely damaged – both internally and externally – then your dentist might advise you to remove the tooth and replace it with a dental implant.
A chipped tooth is a relatively common dental issue, but it does require treatment. You should never let your chipped tooth go-on without visiting a dental clinic. If you experience a chipped tooth, make sure you book an appointment at your Airdrie dental clinic.
For all your dental health needs in Airdrie, Airdrie Family Dentist by ConfiDENTAL is here to provide you with the support you need. We offer a range of dental services, including Speedy Smiles Braces, Invisalign, Cosmetic Dentistry, Orthodontics, Dental Restoration, General Dentistry, and Sedation dentistry in Airdrie. If you are facing any dental issues, we have the services to provide you with the relief and care you need. We have created a comfortable, relaxing and kid-friendly environment, so you know you’re in good hands. Call us on 587-600-6051 or visit us at #101, 28 Gateway Drive NE, Airdrie.